Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

No Rest for the Dead

By 20+ Authors

I haven't been doing much reading lately, which is a shame. I recently picked up No Rest for the Dead and finished it quickly. It's a murder-mystery and the idea of a book written by 20+ separate authors (including R.L. Stine, Sandra Brown, Jeffery Deaver, etc.) intrigued me. I wasn't sure how so many different authors with different writing styles could come together and create a coherent story that flowed. In that respect, this book was a success.

Each chapter of the book was written by a different author yet they all seemed to flow together nicely. Although each has his or her own voice, the styles were similar enough that it went by unnoticed.

This book was a very quick read and I enjoyed it. However, it wasn't a great book by any stretch. I enjoy mysteries and I like to try and figure out what great plot twist is about to happen. Rarely have I read a mystery that hasn't surprised me at the end. With this book, however, I had it figured out about halfway through. Usually, I get an inkling about the twist as I read but I'm rarely right about it. This time, I was which disappointed me a little. It was just a bit too predictable for me to really get the most enjoyment out of the story.

The characters are interesting but not super well-developed. They're deep enough to keep the story moving and keep you engaged but we know very little about them. They're 2-dimensional rather than full-rendered 3-D characters but this doesn't hurt the story.

Overall, I would give this book 3 Wheeks! out of 5. It's a good read but nothing spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment