Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

Catching Fire

by Suzanne Collins

      After loving the first book the Hunger Games, I needed to feed my new Hunger Games addiction and read the second book in this trilogy.  No surprise, it took a day and I was hooked.  Due to how much I enjoyed the first book, I was afraid that this book would not deliver.  Luckily, Collins proved me wrong.  The author made Katniss such a likable and courageous character in both these books.  While this book was vastly different in subject the characters and Collins simple, but exciting writing style kept my interest.


Unfortunately this review will be shorter than the others so I don't spoil anything (since it closely follows the first book).  Catching Fire continues where the first book left off.  Katniss finds herself as the (unintentional?) face of the a multi-district wide rebellion against the Capitol (and you know how if you read the first book).  Of course President Snow and the Capitol will not let her do this without consequences. Yet again, Katniss finds herself in unfortunate predicaments and frightening experiences.  Her courageous attitude, unbelievable intelligence, and impressive physical strengths are tested at every turn.

     Obviously from my review, I enjoyed reading this book.  I think Collins created a brilliant plot to follow the first book with.  While it picks up where the Hunger Games leaves off, it is a wonderful book by itself.  The author again impressed me with her writing and vivid descriptions.  Collins really knows how to fully involve a reader into her books because she leaves many chapters with a cliff-hangers that keep you up late into the night wanting to know more. I can't say I liked it as much as the first one, because it was a completely different piece of literature, but I was not disappointed.   I don't think it will be a surprise to say Mockingjay (the third book) is up next!

Rating: 4 out of 5

Up Next: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (Third book in the Hunger Games trilogy)

1 comment:

  1. I also enjoyed this book a great deal, however I thought it lacked some originality. The story was well told, and continued to develop the conflict present in the novel. We learn more about Katniss and her problems with the capitol, and continue to wonder what will happen with her and Peeta. Things are changing in the world, and Katniss is at the center of it. Definitely worth reading part three.

    ReplyDelete