Search This Blog

Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Gunseller

By Hugh Laurie

I know Hugh Laurie from the television show House, where he plays a Sherlock Holmes inspired doctor who is driven to solve the case by any means necessary.  I acquired this book and thought it would be worth the read.  I didn’t know what to expect, but I’m glad I started reading it without any preconceived ideas.

The book’s main character is Thomas Lang, a retired army officer living in London.  He makes a living picking up odd jobs here and there, mostly involving security/bodyguard work.  Thomas is approached to perform a service as a hitman against a particular businessman, Alexander Woolf.  Refusing the job, he decides to track down the man who offered him the job, only to discover that it was Alexander Woolf himself.  This sets that stage for the unrolling of plot, told in the unconventional Laurie-style.  Woolf explains that he approached Thomas to find out if he was a good man, and that his interests lie in conspiracy to use a newly developed light helicopter to defuse an artificially created terrorist attack.  Soon Thomas finds himself being pursued, beaten, shot at, and involved with numerous unsavory characters.  Undercover, it’s up to him to help stop the terrorist attack.

I’m afraid it’s somewhat difficult to give this book the review it deserves.  I wasn’t blown away by the plot, characters, or the story itself.  I did, however, appreciate the writing style.  I think trying to write about an author’s style is difficult to do without giving particular examples.  The narrative was free flowing, and the descriptions were typically unusual.  This was a fairly enjoyable read, and I could definitely sense the Hugh Laurie influence behind it all.

Rating: 3 out of 5 Bunsen Burners


Up Next: (too many to count)

No comments:

Post a Comment