Search This Blog

Monday, January 2, 2012

I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas


by Lewis Black
I received this book last year for Christmas, but was unable to read it at the time because I came down with the flu hardcore. I thought that this would be the perfect time to read this since I missed my chance last year.
I will begin my review by stating what I expected from this book. I am a big Lewis Black fan, and watch his specials and listen to his cds. When I opened this book, what I anticipated was a mocking analysis of Christmas traditions, compulsive and obligatory holiday spending, and other aspects of the holiday season. However, what I did not expect was Black’s introspection into his own personal life.
I’m going to start with the introspection provided by Mr. Black. As I read through the book, I couldn’t help but think of the Tragic Clown. So often with comedians, the humor and laughter they provide is a front to the pain and suffering within. Comedians such as John Belushi, Chris Farley, and Richard Jeni are classic examples of people who were successful comedians battling their own internal conflicts. Prior to reading this book, I would have never placed Lewis Black in this category. After reading this book, I began to feel sorry for him and realize the pain that he carries within. He discussed his marriage, and the child he was father to (which his wife had lied to him about being his) and the loneliness he feels during holidays. It is clear that Lewis Black has regrets about his life which are haunting him as he ages. He further digests why he is living the life he lives and if there is any other way things could have turned out.
For the meat of the book, he dissects our traditions of overindulgence (in food and possessions) during the holiday season. He also gives thorough description to his typical holiday activities that he (as a Jew) participates in. It was interesting to hear a little bit about his personal life, the friends he visits and some of the traditions he participates in. His humor was sharp, as expected, but at the same time I wasn’t really blown away by anything new.
Overall I thought this was a decent read, and I probably would rate this book a bit higher if I had tempered my expectations a little bit. His observations and rants were classic Lewis Black, but I think the end of the book was my favorite part. The last pages deal with his part in the USO tour. Being someone who is very outspoken against the war in Iraq, it was very interesting to hear about his participation and get his perspective from the whole thing. This part was very genuine and meaningful.
Rating: 2.5/5 Bunsen Burners
Up Next: Sleepeasy by T.M. Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment