Search This Blog

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Under the Tuscan Sun: At Home in Italy

by Frances Mayes

I must confess I have always had a bit of a crush on Italy and everything Italian. I love the language, the country, the culture, the food, etc. If I could pick anywhere to take my husband on a trip, it would be Italy in a heartbeat. After hearing about this book and the movie, I figured it was my time to read it.

This story is a true account of how Mayes takes a chance and decides to renovate a house in Tuscany named Bramasole. It needs a lot of work and most of the beginning of the book is about the renovation and the workers she meets along her journey. The author does not make Bramasole her permanent home, only an escape, as she splits her time between Italy and San Francisco. As she discovers this new foreign country, she takes her audience along for the ride. She allows us to visualize the beauty in the environment, the olive trees, the stone structures, the history, and the culture. It is easy to get lost in her descriptions and imagine such a wonderful place. After only a short time period, it is obvious Mayes' heart lies in Tuscany.

This story does involve some key characters. They include: Mayes, her husband Ed, and some secondary characters: the workers, some friends, and her daughter. While characters are introduced, they are not the focus of this book. They are merely a small part of it. This was a new change for me, because so many of the books I'm used to revolve around the development and story of it's characters. This book tends to focus more (if you couldn't tell) on the setting and small memories Mayes has of her experiences in this new country. Mayes, a poet, allows you to see the Tuscan countryside, the local people, the markets and her beautiful house.

Mayes truly makes readers apart of Italy as you read her book. She uses Italian words many times, she speaks often about the locations she visits, and she describes the rich and delicious food. She even includes many recipes in the book! (I cannot WAIT to try them!!) You feel as if you are discovering all this with her.

My critiques of this book are this: Mayes occasionally came across as "snobbish". I started to dislike the way Mayes contradicted herself when it came to money. She would say that her and her husband were tight monetarily due to paying for the renovations (you have a house in Italy AND San Francisco...?) but she would continue to talk about how many pairs of shoes she purchased at the market to feed her obsession or the new renovations projects she added on. It was also obvious (after some of her older memories) that her childhood was a privileged one-so I felt I didn't need to be reminded of the cook her family had on hand as many times as I was. While I understand this is a memoir, so she is writing freely - this was one part of the author's memories, I could have done without.

If you are looking for a character driven book, you will be disappointed. It is not a guide to Italy either. I hear it is NOTHING like the movie. It is simply a woman finding her way through a new adventure in her life, in a new country, and you're invited for the ride. Sit back and enjoy her creative writing and the wonderful descriptions of a beautiful country.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Up Next: Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor by Stephanie Barron

No comments:

Post a Comment