Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang

by Chelsea Handler

If you have watched the TV show Chelsea Lately or more recently seen the character "Trish" in the movie This Means War with Reese Witherspoon, then you have experienced Chelsea Handler. This means you are aware of her very dry, sarcastic, and well delivered humor. I have watched her embarrass the celebrities on her TV show by asking them ridiculous questions that always made me laugh. I have always thought her delivery and content of her jokes were hilarious, despite their sometimes raunchy content. Her book is the same wonderful formula.

This book is compiled of stories about her life, friends, and family. It is also a very easy read. In this book you hear about her inappropriate and strange father, her hilarious siblings, and the elaborate pranks she plays on her friends/co-workers. One of my favorite chapters was about a family vacation gone completely awry at Martha's Vineyard. Other chapters involve her friends and coworkers. They are always in on the jokes/pranks if aware of them ahead of time or just go along with them automatically if they are brought into the middle of them. It made for some amusing stories. I loved laughing at her stories for two reasons. The first was because of the way she writes so candidly about her experiences and secondly because I was happy these things never happened to me! While reading I couldn't stop laughing, thinking, "Is this real? Did she actually do this?!" It only made it more entertaining.She includes pictures of the events throughout the book- which turned out to be a nice look into these personal moments and a way to bring some truth to her stories.  I laughed out loud on many occasions which made this a terrific book to relax to after a rough day or long day at work.

My one big criticism of this book is the first chapter. For me, it was a little crass and a bit much compared to the rest of the book. I found myself embarrassed reading it and thankful when it ended. Luckily the rest of the book was filled with chapters that were more appealing to me and more of what I expected from her. If you understand Chelsea's sense of humor then you will enjoy this book. It is a quick, easy read with tons of unbelievable stories that will make you laugh. If you do not know her or like her, then you may not enjoy this book.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Up Next: Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment