Search This Blog

Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Hunger Games

by Suzanne Collins

    Just like many have, I heard about the excitement of this series before I actually sat down to read it.  Many times stories have not lived up to their hype.  I was so happy when this story lived up to my high expectations.  I could not put it down and was wrapped up in the story of Katniss Everdeen and her experience within the Hunger Games.

     Very few authors are able to create a futuristic world and make it a plausible reality.  The authors who do it well are gems, while I find myself picking apart the alternative worlds of mediocre authors and their mediocre worlds.  Luckily for all of us, Collins is a gem. She is able to create the eccentric, futuristic world of the Capitol and it's 12 surrounding districts of North America.
   
    Katniss Everdeen is the main character of this book and she lives with her mother and younger sister, Primrose.  The Capitol punishes the 12 Districts for a rebellion in the past, by holding the Hunger Games once a year. The Hunger Games is a required reality television program for the nation to watch. It's a fight to the death between the tributes chosen from each of the districts. One boy and girl, ages 12-18, are randomly chosen in a public event called a "reaping" to be tributes in the Hunger Games. Since each district has two tributes selected, there are 24 teens in total fighting to the death, and only one can win. This year for the 74th annual Hunger Games; Primrose, our heroine's little sister, is drawn in the ballot. Katniss immediately does the unthinkable and volunteers to take her sister's place. In her district, the boy chosen is Peeta Mellark, the local baker's son.

    In the world of the Hunger Games, the tributes are given a training period to hone in and learn new survival or attack skills. This is designed to hopefully give them an advantage against the other tributes, and is a way to show their skills to the game makers and gain sponsors for the games. Katniss is well-versed with a bow and arrow, since she has secretly hunted on the land in her district for years with her close friend Gale. Katniss relies on this strength to help her in the games. She also has the help of Haymitch Abernathy (her mentor from her district who previously won the games) and Effie Trinket the Capitol's representative. They will not only help Katniss and Peeta navigate and survive the pre-game interviews in the Capitol, but gain sponsors for the games, and survive the game itself.

    This book is wonderfully written, detailed, and exciting. I could not get enough of Katniss and her adventure not only with the people around her but in the games as well. I loved the idea of a strong, smart, and independent female character. The only critique I had for this book is small and because it involves the conclusion of the book I feel I cannot post it for fear I will reveal to much about ending. I could not put this book down and would highly recommend it. Thankfully this book is a series and I have already started the second book. Give into the hype and read this story. You will not regret it!

Rating: 5 out of 5

Up Next: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games Series #2)    

2 comments:

  1. Love the first book, but I have yet to see the movie, so I can't comment on the translation yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't feel there was much utility in reviewing these books myself, reading them all once Kady was finished with them. However, I thought it would be appropriate to voice some of my opinions as well. Especially those which differ from those previously expressed.
    I also felt that the author did a wonderful job immersing the reader in the world of The Capitol, without spending copious amounts of time with description. Important details regarding the history of the districts were covered, as well as other pertinent bits of information. As far as characters, I thought that the "good guys" were sufficiently likable and well developed. Similarly, the "bad guys" were hated, but less developed.
    I also enjoyed this book. Very simple read, good story, and likable characters. About the movie: The movie stayed fairly true to the book, and was very interesting. The actors were well chosen, and excised parts of the story were not missed. The book was definitely better, but I can't wait to read/watch the other 2 books/movies.

    ReplyDelete