Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Men of the Otherworld

by Kelley Armstrong

While Armstrong's series "Women of the Otherworld" is quite popular, this book is not part of this series, but rather a supplement to help readers know more about the characters. While the "Women of the Otherworld" series is dominated by female protagonists (as the review before this points out), this book helps readers understand and learn about the men in her series. Primarily focused on the men in the "Pack" (i.e. the werewolves). Finally a book that not only answers age old questions like, "How did Clay become a werewolf and become in Jeremy's care? Why does Jeremy have such a different demeanor?", but a book that is also from the men's point of views!

This story is compiled of four short stories. Armstrong apparently had these written as an e-series and eventually made into a book with more detail. The four stories are: Infusion, Savage, Ascension, and Kitsunegari. Infusion is the first story and answers some questions about Jeremy's family and past. Told from the point of view of his father Malcolm, this sets the mood and helps to understand Jeremy's character even more. Savage and Ascension are all from the point of view of Clay Danvers. We follow Clay from when he was bitten as a child to his life in his later years. It covers his first meeting with Jeremy, introduction into the Pack, his adventures, and friendships/enemies. This book is rich with detail that only help you love him even more as a character. Kitsunegari is told from the perspective of Jeremy and reveals what his mother was before she met her sad end.

Kelley Armstrong is a very strong writer and I so enjoy reading her books. Although I wouldn't have chosen this series or these topics on my own, I am so glad I was introduced to them. Her descriptions are fantastic and don't keep you wondering. Armstrong has a way that make such complex topics very easy to follow. I finish her books way too quickly!! I find myself upset when I have to put her books down and think about them until I can pick it back up wondering what will happen next. Armstrong's strength and interest is clearly writing about the werewolves. These books are so much stronger then the others.

My one complaint about this book is the final story Kitsunegari. Once I was introduced to Clay as the narrator and protagonist I didn't want it to stop. Kitsunegari seemed to break the flow of the book by changing it to Jeremy's point of view. It also was a less interesting topic even though it covered some needed information about Jeremy's character. While it answered these questions I would have much rather had it presented in a different way or brought up in one of the other books. It seemed a very awkward way to finish the book.

Overall this book was very interesting and I loved it! Kelley Armstrong hasn't let me down yet!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Up Next: Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand

No comments:

Post a Comment