Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Things They Carried

by Tim O'Brien

Ever since reading Hearts in Atlantis (review soon to be published) I have taken a great interest in the Vietnam War. While this conflict did not affect me directly, it was present during the lives of my parents. Couple this with the old adage "those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it," and that is all the explanation needed.

This book is an informative look at the day to day activities of soldiers out humping, and also an unflinching look at some of the more unsavory aspects of war. The author, a Vietnam Veteran, describes what it was like "in the green" very well. He identifies himself as an author, and does not deny that some stories have been altered for readability. Overall he tells stories that are sometimes hard to hear, but really deserve the opportunity to be heard.

This book was very different from what I am used to reading, a combination of firsthand account and slight embellishment by the author. Being a fairly short book and very interesting, I breezed through it in a few days. My only complaint is not really a complaint at all. When I got the book, I was craving much more of a history lesson. This book did not address a number of things about the war that still exist as a gap in my knowledge. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for an account of the Vietnam War from a Veteran. It truly is crazy what these men went through, and his account makes understanding these soldiers much easier.

Rating: 4/5 Bunsen Burners

Coming Up: The Gunslinger by Stephen King

No comments:

Post a Comment